Saturday, March 22, 2008

On the moon again

I was reading the news today, my staple activity, and this article caught my attention:
" Situations vacant: applicants should be fit, fearless - and have a head for heights
·
Europe recruits astronauts for first time in 15 years
·
Up to 50,000 applications expected for eight places

Wanted for unique opportunity: brilliant, physically fit people. Must be cool under pressure, willing to work away from home and have a good head for heights. Free uniform included.

The wording might be a little different, but when the advert appears in newspapers in the next few weeks, it will mark the beginning of one of the most exciting recruitment drives in more than 40 years. The European Astronaut Centre (EAC) needs more astronauts, and from them it expects to choose the first European to walk on the moon . . ."

Source: Guardian

I remember when I was a kid and dreamt about becoming an astronaut. It was after I heard someone -- probably my dad -- talked about skylab.

Later on, I decided I'd love to be a lawyer, prompted by my dad's wish and frustrations for not being one.

In the end, I never turned into any of those because one, I'm not an American so getting into NASA was impossible, and I never had the passion for law. So . . . here I am.

No comments: