Monday, March 24, 2008

"Hell" on TV

Before I headed to work this morning, I joined my father in our living room to watch Fox News' Easter special. I was able to catch two segments: one discussed "Hell" and the other "Veronica's Veil."

According to the program, no one among those who had near-death experience actually saw Hell. Well, some guy actually suffered 23 minutes in hell literally, and had a book published on that. With the way he described it, I have to agree with him -- you would not wish even your worst enemy to go there.

Now what is more interesting is the subject of Veronica's Veil. For one, Christian scholars are not even sure that the woman who owned the garment actually had the name Veronica because Veronica is a combination of the Latin word "vera" or "truth" and "icon," which is "image" in Greek. So it could actually refer to the image on the veil. Another interesting issue is the fact that there are now two veils, one is in Vatican and the other is in an ancient Italian village, which many believed could be the real thing because when it is superimposed on the Shroud of Turin, they are a match.

Isn't the shroud controversial too because some say it is actually a product of some guy's genius. Hmm . . . I guess I shouldn't be surprised if one day, I would hear that the same guy made the two religious relics. And I bet Fox News -- or Discovery Channel -- would be there to tell me all about it.

No comments: